Pickens County Planning & Development October 2017 Report
11/7/2017 ~ by Richard Osborne, AICP, Planning & Development Director
Pickens County Planning & Development monthly report for October activity:
42 in October 2017 (31% increase)
32 in October 2016
Permits for Site Built Homes
13 in October 2017 (63% increase)
8 in October 2016
183 in October 2017 (58% increase)
116 in October 2016
Total Department Revenue
$20,307.70 in October 2017 (24% increase)
$16,395.44 in October 2016
• On October 9, Planning Commission recommended approval of a text amendment regarding peddlers and a rezoning case from Industrial (I) to Agricultural (AG) at 1005 Talc Mine Rd. The cases were approved by the Board of Commissioners on October 19.
• PC will not meet in November since there are no applications for review.
Subdivisions: building permits were issued for new homes in the following developments:
• Bent Tree (1)
• Bethany Moorings off Bethany Rd (2)
• Big Canoe (2)
• New Hope Acres off Hobson Rd (1)
• The Preserve at Sharp Mountain off Henderson Mountain Rd (1)
• Alcohol: the new owners/operators of the gas station at the Tate 4-way (former Tate Market – now called Faz Corners 3) obtained a new beer & wine license. Renewal applications for 2018 have been mailed out.
• Amicalola EMC headquarters project: Construction and inspections are ongoing for building additions to the administrations and operations buildings as well as general site renovations.
• Big Canoe Fire Station: Construction and inspections are ongoing for the new headquarters fire station.
• Comprehensive Plan: A stakeholders meeting was held on October 17; all are invited to the next meeting on December 12 at 6:30 PM in the Pickens room of the County administration building, 1266 E. Church St, Jasper. Questions? Richard Osborne 706-253-8852.
• Foothills dentist: Construction and inspection are ongoing for a new dentist office for Dr. Thomas Hart on the second floor of an existing building in the Foothills area (Hwy 53 East & Steve Tate Hwy).
• Georgia Mountain Storage: Construction and inspections are ongoing for two new mini-warehouses totaling 6,600 sqft in the self-storage complex on Hubbard Rd off Steve Tate Hwy.
• Good Samaritan Medical Clinic: Construction and inspections are ongoing for the new approximately 7,000 sqft two-story building being built adjacent to the existing structure on Samaritan Way.
• Hemlocks Landscaping: Construction and inspections are ongoing for the new approximately 3,200 sqft building on Refuge Rd for this business.
• Jasper Paint & Body: Construction and inspections are ongoing for the new 6,800 sqft building addition to this business on Philadelphia Rd near Hwy 53.
• Land development: Construction is ongoing for the bike/hike park (STPAL) on Hwy 515 near Carnes Mill Rd. In October, three tertiary land disturbance permits were issued in the Village at Oak Creek subdivision. Staff continues to work with Moss Creek subdivision representatives (Moss Rd) on land disturbance matters in preparation for new homes.
• Rock Creek Manor: Construction and inspections are ongoing for the new 12-unit senior apartment building on Cagle Mill Rd off Lower Dowda Mill Rd.
• Tate commercial: Staff has been working with representatives on redevelopment of the three buildings in Tate on Hwy 53 East near Station St. A new plumbing service and new store (53 Market) now occupy two of the spaces.