Pickens County Board of Commissioners Work Session January 2018
Items of Discussion:
1. Updates from Department Heads (some highlights below):
Classes offered: Fitness, Karate and Line Dancing weekly
Support Groups: Cancer, Weight Loss, Quilting Guild, Retired Teachers Association, Conversational English Class
Pickleball is available five days a week.
2017 Participation Numbers:
T-Ball, Softball and Baseball - 520
Basketball - 362 making 41 teams
Spring Soccer - 122
Fall Soccer - 123
Academy Select Soccer - 31
Investigated 24 structure fires
4 injuries and 1 death
All appeared to be accidental or some type of failure.
Planning & Development
Development in 2017 was steady compared to 2016 which had a spike compared to 2014 and 2015.
Pickens Fire & Rescue
New paint scheme for the two new ambulances to be in operation within the next month.
84,461 total calls in 2017
48,000 Law Enforcement
1,552 Motor Vehicle
-Moss road station is waiting on architects to finish specs to begin the bid process.
- Looking for property for a Tate Fire Station.
- Two new 'Supertanker' fire engines to be purchased.
- Trauma Grant of $8,600
- 66 Meters installed (majority ¾ inch meters and for new development)
- 4 line extensions
- 9,000 ft of line installed on Jones Mountain, 8,000 to go
- Three public assistance grant projects in 2017 totaling $318,000 with $93,000 reimbursed currently from one event.
- Five out of the last six years, the county has been impacted by weather with a Presidential Declaration.
- $40,000 grant in 2018 for a lightning detection device and message board for the Recreation Department.
- Applying for grants for more generators and storm shelters
Increase in Local Maintenance & Improvement Grant (LMIG) funds in 2017 ($123,000)
Homestead Exemptions must be in by April 1, 2018.
Personal property returns have been mailed out.
23.62 miles of resurfacing
2.8 miles of tar and gravel
Plans for 2018
4.3 miles of tar and gravel
5.23 miles of asphalt resurfacing
20 miles for LMIG
2018 Budget Adopted
426 employees with 289 full time
Workers Comp claims down 90% from 2016.
2. BOC Meeting Schedule for 2018
3. General Discussion