Weather Advisory for January 8, 2018 Causing Closings and Delays
Winter Weather Advisory* in effect from 5 am to Noon on Monday, January 8, 2018. Light freezing rain is expected to develop very late tonight into Monday morning. Total ice accumulations of a light glaze to less than a tenth of an inch are expected.
- Due to inclement weather warnings and the potential for hazardous conditions, the Pickens County School District will be closed tomorrow, Monday, January 8, 2018.
- All campuses of Chattahoochee Technical College will be closed on Monday, Jan. 8 for both day and evening courses due to the forecast for inclement weather.
- Pickens County Government Offices delaying opening until Noon. This includes Pickens County Recreation Department and Community Center.
- Public Health Departments and Environmental Health offices in Pickens will delay opening until noon. on Monday, January 8, 2018 due to the potential for icy road conditions. This delay applies to all our public health services and programs, including WIC and Child Medical Services.
- Good Samaritan Health & Wellness will open at noon. If your appointment was before noon, we will reschedule you. If after, please come in as usual.
WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY HIGHLIGHTS (from NWS Webinar on 1/7/18 at 7 PM)
• Uncertainty in coverage and timing of freezing rain remains, however confidence is high if freezing rain occurs, there will be high impacts.
• Moisture moves in early Monday morning (1am-5am) far NW GA, then progresses east towards metro ATL (5am-8am) then further east through the morning.
• At this point, confidence is high that any/all wintry precipitation will be in the form of freezing rain/freezing drizzle.
• Transitions to all rain by early afternoon; eastern counties of GA the last to change over
• Amounts still expected to be light and remain mostly a travel impact.
*A Winter Weather Advisory means that periods of freezing rain will cause travel difficulties. Be prepared for slippery roads. Slow down and use caution while driving.